Sunday, May 8, 2011

Getting hung up on the oil.

I would not say that I come from a particularly religious family, but my dad has a habit of perusing the Jesus channels on the odd occasion. He's a big fan of Joyce Meyer and TD Jakes, but tonight he'd happened upon Joel Osteen. I would not say that I am a particularly religious person, but I do enjoy an infusion of Joel Osteen on the odd occasion.

I paused long enough in my regular Sunday night chores to listen for a few minutes. On this particular night, Joel was talking about how to stay positive and joyful, even when one might not feel very positive or joyful. He referenced Hebrews 1:9, which says something to the effect of "those who love righteousness will be anointed in the oil of joy." I immediately felt more positive about it being Sunday night, and having to go to work the next morning.

The message was lost on my father, unfortunately. He sat on the couch grimacing. "Anointed. I hate that word. And I don't like oil. I don't want to be anointed with the oil of joy."

"Dad, it's not literal."

We continued watching in silence. For about three seconds.

"Anointed. We don't use that word everyday. It's meaningless. It's a stupid word."

"No...WE don't use it everyday. But it's coming in handy for Joel Osteen right now," I pointed out.

"Oh." We continued watching for another three seconds, and then..

"Oil collects dirt."

"OKAY DAD! I get it!"

"Sorry...I got hung up on the oil."

No comments:

Post a Comment